Cinemarch Madness: Bjork Division Semifinal
The Björk flight isn't the most agonizing division in the Cinemarch semis, but it's proof that these choices won't get any easier. I'll eliminate Life and Atonement right out of the gate (annoying), followed by Dancer and Last King (haven't seen) and Philadelphia (sad, but not depressing).
All Quiet is subtly, quietly devastating, but in a category with Shoah and Brandon Teena, that won't cut it. There's something about the cumulative effect of repeated shots of snow falling on the remnants of Birkenau…that something being "Birkenau," mostly, of course, but then that new snow can almost hide that place…oof. Brandon Teena, enough said.
Do my picks win? Shoah doesn't. Brandon might; I think Dancer in the Dark is the second "winner" here.
And away we go:
Bjork Division: Vote for the TWO (2) harshest films.
- The Brandon Teena Story (24%, 113 Votes)
- Dancer in the Dark (16%, 77 Votes)
- Shoah (11%, 54 Votes)
- The Last King of Scotland (11%, 53 Votes)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (10%, 50 Votes)
- Life Is Beautiful (8%, 39 Votes)
- All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) (7%, 35 Votes)
- Atonement (7%, 34 Votes)
- Philadelphia (5%, 26 Votes)
Total Voters: 251
Tags: All Quiet on the Western Front Atonement Bjork Cinemarch Madness Dancer in the Dark Last King of Scotland Life Is Beautiful movies Philadelphia Shoah The Brandon Teena Story