Poppy-Fields Movie Couch Of Fame: The Fifth Element
Our next PFM nominee comes from Kat From Jersey: The Fifth Element.
KFJ will now make the case for a cable staple! Take it away…
Yay! Love this topic! So many movies make my list, but I'm nominating my ultimate film, The Fifth Element. Out of the many, many movies (from Clueless to The Green Mile and everything in between) that I have to stop and watch, no matter what I'm doing, this one tops the list (to quote my husband, "Again?"). Your checklist/my criteria:
- lengthy? 126 minutes, so fairly long.
- familiar/frequent? It seems to be on one of the pay cable channels every other day, for a two-month block, every three months. So, yes.
- classic/award-winner Uhh, no. But it does have the classically-trained and award-winning Sir Ian Holm in a very funny role as a futuristic priest trying to help save the world from exploding. And Milla Jovovich, who IMO is the most beautiful, most badass action heroine to ever grace the screen (take that, Jolie). And it has Bruce flippin' Willis, looking as gorgeous as he ever has, as the snarky, straight-man actiony hero. And Gary Oldman as the over-the-top bad guy named Zorg. I'm sure he's at least been nominated for a few awards!
- "Greetings, Professor Falken" (big payoff/long-shot victory a la WarGames)? Well, the heroes save the world from exploding, with seconds to spare. With the help of annoying yet very funny broadcaster to the universe, Ruby Rhod (Chris Tucker). The giddy "Yes!!!!" from twitchy acolyte David is the best payoff for me.
- "Wanna have a catch?" (Pavlovian tear-jerk; anything with dads opens the ducts for this guy)? Bruce Willis teaches Milla Jovovich that love wins out in the end. Awww!
- Quote-fest? Definitely, though this film is a bit lesser-known, quote-wise. Multi-pass!
- caper-ish or -adjacent camaraderie? Both! A renegade band of misfits, including an ex-military cab driver, a priest and his acolyte, an effeminate-yet-ladies-man DJ, a blue alien opera singer, and a divine being, trying to save the world.
Readers, this one's for you to decide. I fell asleep in front of it years ago, so I'm recusing myself, but I will note that it was Oscar-nominated for Best Sound Effects Editing. It scores a solid 5, at least; people do seem to like it, even if it's not classically "great." Discuss!
Kat: You've won a shirt from the TN store; thanks so much for submitting.
Update 6/13/14: Looks like a winner to me! Grab a pillow, Fifthsie.
The Poppy-Fields Movie Couch Of Fame is here. To nominate your own PFM, email bunting at tomatonation dot com with a rundown of the criteria and your argument for why it deserves a cushion. If I use your entry, free loot shall be thine.
Tags: Angelina Jolie Bruce Willis Chris Tucker Gary Oldman Milla Jovovich movies poppy-fields movies The Fifth Element