The Poppy-Fields Movie Couch Of Fame: Grosse Pointe Blank
Reader Rayvyn is shooting to kill with a Cusack joint.
Welcome back to the PFM CoF, you guys! Our first nominee of 2015 is Grosse Pointe Blank; let's let Rayvyn make the case.
From IMDb: Martin Blank is a professional assassin. He is sent on a mission to a small Detroit suburb, Grosse Pointe, and, by coincidence, his ten-year high school reunion party is taking place there at the same time.
The mission is to kill the 'girl he left behind's' father. He's also pursued by another hitman (Grocer) who wants him to join a union of hit men. So, definitely caperish.
Running time: 107 minutes, so not VERY long.
John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Dan Aykroyd, Joan Cusack, Alan Arkin. This movie is hilarious and I stop every time it's on. I bought the video tape and played it over and over. Then I bought the DVD when it came out.
Sooo many great lines but my favorite: "Thanks for the pen." (He used the pen to kill someone who tried to kill him.)
It won a couple of minor awards. It has the big payoff/longshot victory when Martin overcomes Grocer, saves Debi's father instead of killing him, and gets the girl.
Thanks, Rayvyn! I've never seen this and I probably won't — my feelings about John Cusack continue to curdle as the years go by, though I'm told I would enjoy him in this — but let's review some of the criteria:
- lengthy? 107 minutes, so not really.
- familiar/frequent? Also not really, currently, but it used to be on cable every single weekend.
- classic/award-winner? No awards you've heard of. May hold up better than some of its mid-nineties brethren.
- "Greetings, Professor Falken" (big payoff/long-shot victory a la WarGames)? See above.
- "Wanna have a catch?" (Pavlovian tear-jerk; anything with dads opens the ducts for this guy)? See above; it's a comedy, so unlikely.
- quote-fest? See above.
- caper-ish or -adjacent camaraderie? See above.
- "forget you, melon farmer" (you own it, but will still watch bowdlerized TV verzh) Check.
Haven't seen this one, but again, based on my recollection that it was on TNT once a weekend for years, I'm betting many of y'all have, and will cast your votes accordingly. Rayvyn, thanks again for submitting and congrats on your new shirt!
[Update, 1/23/15: Despite some capable dissent, this one's in there.]
The Poppy-Fields Movie Couch Of Fame is here. To nominate your own PFM, email bunting at tomatonation dot com with a rundown of the criteria and your argument for why it deserves a cushion. If I use your entry, free loot shall be thine.
Tags: Alan Arkin Dan Aykroyd Grosse Pointe Blank Joan Cusack John Cusack Minnie Driver movies poppy-fields movies you can't spell "readers" without "rad"