The Poppy-Fields Movie Couch Of Fame: Some Like It Hot
Reader Laura's got a vintage film for us to consider. Laura, take it away!
- lengthy? A little bit at 120 minutes
- familiar/frequent? It's on a few times a year on AMC
- classic/award-winner? Undeniably a classic. Billy Wilder was nominated for Best Director and Jack Lemmon for Best Actor. The film won best comedy at the Golden Globes.
- "Greetings, Professor Falken" (big payoff/long-shot victory a la WarGames)? Nope.
- "Wanna have a catch?" (Pavlovian tear-jerk; anything with dads opens the ducts for this guy)? Nope.
- quote-fest? Okay, I know I'm a bit of a dork, but yes, I love the quotes. "The fuzzy end of the lollypop," "Beanstalk!", "I can never have children"
- caper-ish or -adjacent camaraderie? Absolutely. Lemmon and Curtis are a riot!
- "forget you, melon farmer" (you own it, but will still watch bowdlerized TV verzh)No language changes needed but LOTS of innuendo. The long shot of Monroe singing "I Wanna Be Loved by You" with the spotlight playing with the image of her gown is scandalizing! :)
I've never seen Some Like It Hot all the way through. Speaking of scandalizing! I do think Billy Wilder is brilliant generally; I think I would enjoy it, but I can't speak to whether it's a PFM or not, so I'm going to turn it over to the readers and see if they think it has the required ensorcelling powers.
Readers, what say you?
The Poppy-Fields Movie Couch Of Fame is here. To nominate your own PFM, email bunting at tomatonation dot com with a rundown of the criteria and your argument for why it deserves a cushion. If I use your entry, free loot shall be thine.
Tags: Billy Wilder Jack Lemmon Marilyn Monroe movies poppy-fields movies Some Like It Hot