Tomato Nation Read-Along #16, Special Blotter Edition: Poll
By request of a few readers, an all-crime selection of potential Read-Along books. I tried to give you a good range of crimes — arsons, assassinations, Mafiosi, paper-hangers — but as you may or may not remember, the choices come directly from my own bookshelves, and it turns out that I own a lot of books on the Scarfo crew. I don't know, long story.
Also: wow, is true-crime marketing design predictable. Almost invariably black paperbacks with red raised type and a blurry photo on the cover, and some variation of "murder and madness in the [X] of [whatever]" in the subtitle. I remember asking for a copy of Fatal Vision in a used bookstore one time, and when the counterwoman didn't register the title, I said, "You know, the one true-crime book that's blue?" and she immediately remembered it.
Y'all Kindlegarteners won't have that problem, fortunately. No matter what your format, pick us out a likely hooligan, and let's read.
Which book(s) would you like to read along with? (You can pick as many as 3.)
- Jesus Freaks: A True Story of Murder and Madness on the Evangelical Edge / Don Lattin (26%, 82 Votes)
- The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor (Mark Seal) (18%, 57 Votes)
- Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President (Candice Millard) (12%, 38 Votes)
- A Wilderness of Error: The Trials of Jeffrey MacDonald (Errol Morris) (9%, 28 Votes)
- My Dark Places (James Ellroy) (9%, 28 Votes)
- The Pittsburgh Cocaine 7: How a Ragtag Group of Fans Took the Fall for Major League Baseball (Aaron Skirboll) (7%, 22 Votes)
- The City of Falling Angels (John Berendt) (7%, 22 Votes)
- The First Family: Terror, Extortion, and the Birth of the American Mafia (Mike Dash) (6%, 19 Votes)
- Blood and Honor: Inside the Scarfo Mob -- the Mafia's Most Violent Family (George Anastasia) (3%, 10 Votes)
- Murder Machine: A True Story of Madness and the Mafia (Gene Mustain and Jerry Capeci) (3%, 8 Votes)
Total Voters: 135
Tags: books Nicky Scarfo The Blotter The TN Read-Along true crime Vito Rizzuto