The Vine: April 9, 2014
I'm trying to find the name of a movie I saw as a kid and Vine readers are usually able to figure out anything. This has stumped my Facebook friends and my Google skills, including searching IMDB for soundtracks with specific music on it (see my description).
Here's what I know:
1) The plot revolves around a trapeze artist (he might be a tightrope walker, but I'm 99% sure it's trapeze) whose wife used to perform with him until she died during the act. I think he missed a catch and dropped her. He has flashbacks or dreams about her death all the time. (I guess it's possible the woman he dropped was just his performing partner or sister or something, but I'm almost positive it's his wife.)
2) The song "Greensleeves" plays a few times in the movie. It might be a trigger for his flashbacks; I'm not sure. Because of this movie, I have never liked that song (or "What Child Is This") because it makes me think of death. The movie might be set at Christmas, but I might just think that because "Greensleeves" is on a lot of classical Christmas albums.
3) I did not see this movie in a theater; it could have been on Lifetime or something. I'm fairly certain I saw it more than once and despite my negative association with the music, I think I liked the movie.
4) I probably saw it between the ages of 9 and 13, which means it was between 1989 and 1993. I think it was made fairly soon before I saw it; I was a kid who hated any "old" movies, and I remember the clothing and hair seeming fairly contemporary. Could have been made in the '70s, I guess. It's also possible my memory is bad and it was older than that.
5) I do not think it is SET at a circus or that it's really a movie about the circus. That just happens to be what the guy's job was. I don't remember any scenes having anything to do with the circus other than the flashbacks of the wife dying. I don't think you actually see the death. You just see a trapeze and hear screaming. I can't remember exactly how she dies except that she fell. (Why wouldn't they have a safety net? If they did, why didn't it work?) It's not The Greatest Show on Earth, and it's not the made-for-TV movie about the Wallendas.
Every year at Christmas when I start to hear Greensleeves, I think of this movie and get annoyed that it had such an effect on me but I can't remember what it is. Here's hoping you or the Vine readers know what it is.
Tags: Ask The Readers popcult