The Vine: August 10, 2011 Special Edition
16 August update
Happy Elvis deathiversary, everyone. These tales have been great, hilarious, and super-helpful. I'd like to hear even MORE stories from you guys, specifically about any issues you may have had around the following:
- when you started dating, like, in November: how do you straddle the line between showing you care but not showing you care TOO much
- handling different religious backgrounds and traditions at the holidays (or creating new ones)
- handling different OCD ideas about opening gifts on Eve vs. Day; when to trim the tree; how and in what order gifts are opened; etc.
- when you thought it was time to meet the fam, but he just…went home and didn't mention it
- income disparity in a couple and how that's handled gift-wise (or not)
- singleness at the holidays: do you like it? hate it? not care either way? feel relieved you don't have to go to someone's super-crowded home for five days and sleep in a twin bed?
- New Year's: do you assume you'll spend it together? has New Year's (or the kissing at midnight) ever prompted the ruination of a relationship?
- more holiday breakups and hookups
- expecting a proposal on Christmas and not getting it; not expecting one, and getting one you didn't want
Thank you so much for all the stories so far; keep those cards and letters coming!
Hello, friends! In lieu of a customary Vine today, I'm asking for your stories about holiday relationship "challenges." I would love to hear your tales (of woe and otherwise) and to quote a bunch of you in the finished piece!
Topics I'd like to hear about:
- you just started dating and don't know what to do about gifts — keep it cazh and impersonal, or splurge and risk getting a Groupon in return
- time to meet the in-laws…or not (the perils of meeting the fam, and when he visits them — but doesn't invite you; when should you expect to undergo that ritual)
- one member of the couple makes way more money than the other; how do you finesse that
- out-gifting/under-gifting (i.e. you got him an engraved vintage flask and he got you Two-Buck Chuck, or vice versa)
- his gift sucked
- you get the feeling your gift sucked
- feeling "too single" around the holidays
- insecurity around New Year's plans/standing next to a kissable candidate at midnight
- whose parents' house do we go to
- negotiating differing religious traditions
- negotiating differing present-opening traditions (he insists on Eve, you say it's a sacrilege)
- breaking up around the holidays
- hooking up around the holidays, or, "That's The Last Time I Stay Late At The Office Party"
- holiday marriage proposals — and what happens when they don't come through
Anything else I didn't mention, feel free to add or embroider; any questions, also let me know. Keep in mind that, in order to use your story, I will need your real name, date of birth, and locational info, but you don't have to post that, of course; just use a valid email address on your comment, and I'll contact you directly (or the research department will). Or you can email your helliday stories straight to me for greater privacy: bunting at tomatonation dot com.
Please feel free to forward, or put me in touch with friends — thanks!
Tags: Ask The Readers happy hellidays