The Vine: March 15, 2013
Maybe you and Red Cloudsource can help me find a bra! I'm looking for a 36G (or equivalent) bra that must have:
- Underwire because "wirefree" bras offer me neither lift nor separation
- No padding at all because a padded G-cup is absurd and also will not fit in any drawer and also how do you wash something that's big enough to use as a tandem Pope hat anyway
- No, not even some "micro-thin foam lining for modesty to shape without adding bulk" or something, because every word of that statement is bullshit (I don't want to hear any insistence that "a bra THAT BIG needs some kind of stiff lining sheesh" because give me a break)
- No minimizers because my tits are not too much, either, and the claptrap about how they "make your clothes fit sooooo much better" enrages me
- No frilly shit like lace or ruffles or bows
- Costs less than $50 US
- Is available in actual colors, not just white and
I know how to Google stuff, so I'm looking for personal recommendations — "I have this bra and it is awesome/sucks" is much more helpful than "Have you tried looking at Name Of Store? They sell many bras in your size! Derp!"
First of all, please accept my compliments on your hilarious fulminations. "Tandem Pope hat" is getting stolen right now as my new euphemism for "brassiere."
One of the earliest Ask The Readers questions concerned plus-size tandem Pope hats, if you'd like to look over the list (don't know if all those links still work). Failing that, a few specific recs from this 36D/DD, starting with: prepare to spend money. I mean, wait for things to go on sale, sure, but in my experience, most bras that combine the necessary scaffolding with the also-necessary cuteness will cost you. I should add that, when you find that (in my case) Simone Perele number that looks on you like it does on the catalog model, you will have way less of a problem plunking down $98.
My taste is slightly more frilly than yours, but not to a ridiculous brocade-and-ruffles degree, so I would recommend:
I couldn't find my Fayreform model, but the others I own and wear regularly. Again, these have some "frilly shit," Elle's in particular, but they give me good lift and separation using (comfortable) seams and side panels, and Simone Perele in particular really hold up.
Brands I haven't enjoyed that I predict you may see in the comments: La Perla (the cup depth is weird and round; very expensive, not worth the prestige price tag) and Chantelle (like putting on a breastplate; weak straps).
Readers: plus-size, lining-free, no-frills underwire tandem hats. Three (3) suggestions per. Thanks!
Tags: Ask The Readers retail